Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish.
Top Ten Books That Will Make You Cry
River’s top five
For me, I usually cry about a book when it’s especially moving or touching. Sad things do make me cry, but it has to be a huge, emotional gut punch for me to tear up about it. So most of my picks probably wont make you cry because they’re sad, but more because they just moved me in some way.
1. Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare — Not only was this the last book, BUT PEOPLE I REALLY LOVED DIED. God the ending, I just sobbed through it. Just laid there in my bed and sobbed. Also the way things were wrapped up, what Tessa had to live through, her continued friendship with Magnus… omg I’m getting goosebumps even thinking about it.
2. Golden by Jessi Kirby — This book moved me in so many ways. I just kept becoming so overwhelmed with emotions and couldn’t help tearing up. Too many feels. Too many beautiful words. It was just a lot.
3. Marley & Me by John Grogan — It’s a dog book! About a hilarious dog. Who gets old and dies. How could I not cry?! Tears of laughter, tears of understanding, tears of happiness, tears of saddness. (I sobbed through the movie too).
4. A Separate Peace by John Knowles — This is one of my favorite books and just… everything. Especially when one of the main characters dies. And how the narrator feels about it and why he did what he did and ugh. Tears.
5. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater — OVERWHELMED BY FEELS. Nothing sad, just omg feels. The way things ended, the winner of the race, the relationship that came about… and the horses. Especially the horses. I cried for them all because it was all just so beautiful.
Sam’s top five
I admit, I’m a wuss and a crybaby. It’s so easy to make me cry, and I’m not sure if this is just because as I’ve gotten older I’m sucker or what. Who knows! But here’s a five books that just make me cry. There’s no order to this list.
1) The One, the Only, Ivan by Katherine Applegate – A middle grade book about a talented, yet caged gorilla. Everything about this book, from it’s wonderful characters, to it’s heartbreaking conclusion is just sob worthy. The prose is also SO LOVELY that it’s sob worthy.
2) Elanor and Park, by Rainbow Rowell – You know when a book starts with a couple not getting to be together that it’s going to rip your heart out. After meeting Rainbow in person, I told her she ripped my heart out with this book. She laughed in my face.
3) Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta – There were a few parts of this book that just completely gutted me, and the mystery within the story is so compelling and when you get to the climax, the reveal, it’s just, I can’t even.
4) Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes – Words to describe this book, ummm… destructive? Emotionally draining? Heartbreaking? Yeah, this book is one that hurts and is totally written for those of us who cry on a dime. The story is excellent and clever, but emotions! So many!
5) The Newsflesh Series by Mira Grant – Best zombie book series ever. It’s emotionally investing and draining. The characters just make you feel so damn invested, and I love this series. I can reread it and I will still have the same emotions I had the first time I read it.