River and I were nominated for a Liebster Award by Brin’s Book Blog! Huge thank you to Brin, as we are delighted, but feel absolutely awful that we are only getting to this at the end of March instead of the beginning when we were nominated. I’ll be posting my responses, as I’m not going to answer for River, though she will likely be a big part of my answers.
Here are the rules:
- List 11 facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions asked by whoever nominated you.
- Ask 11 new questions to 9 bloggers with less than 200 followers. You cannot re-nominate the blog that nominated you.
- Go to their blog and tell them that they have been nominated!
11 Facts about Me (Sam):
- I’ve been a game’s journalist longer than I have been a book blogger. I’ve been at RPGamer.com since 2009 and am currently the Operations Manager of the site.
- I’m working towards a Library Information & Technician’s diploma, though I already have a degree in English Literature and East Asian Studies.
- I’ve actually known my co-blogger since I was in high school (so over ten years if you can believe it).
- A lot of people peg me as an extrovert, but I’d argue I am an introvert-extrovert in behaviour.
- I’ve wanted to be a youth librarian since teaching ESL for over five years. I realized I had better skills for that then being a teacher.
- I own two dogs: a Labrador Retriever named Dakota, and an English Bulldog, Brutus. I post lots of Brutus pictures on my twitter mostly for River’s amusement.
- I am finally marrying my boyfriend of eight years this year (oooo old news).
- I own way too much tea and too many unique mugs that support my habit.
- My favourite video game in the world is Valkyrie Profile, though I adore WRPGs as much as I do JRPGs. My fave WRPG is Dragon Age: Origins.
- Ruttabega. (If you know where this is from, then you are cool in my books… well, everyone is cool).
- I DON’T KNOW HOW TO COUNT <—- added by River mwhahahahaha
Eleven facts about me! (River)
1. My childhood dreams were to be either an FBI agent, spy, fashion model, or writer.
2. I have a horrible immune system and I almost died in 2002 and after recovering became allergic to milk and developed pars planitis in my eyes the year after. WHELP. And, almost all of my hair fell out in 2007.
3. I horseback rode for six years before quitting to become a cheerleader in high school (WTF SELF).
4. When I worked at Borders I set ‘Twilight’ to be my staff pick for a full month and my only comment was ‘I ❤ Edward.’ Again, wtf self.
5. I moved to Japan in 2007 and have been living here ever since (with a 6-month return to the USA in 2008).
6. I’ve lived in TWO different places in the USA and FIVE different places in Japan.
7. I can eat the same food for WEEKS without getting sick of it (current food is oatmeal).
8. The only novels I have ever “finished” writing are NaNoWriMo novels.
9. My favorite book in the ENTIRE WORLD is ‘The Raven Boys’, which I just discovered last year. Something about that book undid me and I am almost scared about how that book has affected me.
10. Vanilla. anything vanilla. ALL THE VANILLA.
11. I hate sleep and think it’s the biggest waste of time. I wish I was one of those people who could survive off 3-4 hours of sleep. I’d get so much more done.
11 Questions from Brin
- Why did you start blogging? S: Because River asked me too! Actually, there’s a bit more to it. Over the last five years or so I’ve been plotting a change of career and blogging helped me to establish myself more in the field I am working towards.
R: I’ve always blogged (back in high school I had a livejournal) and when I moved to Japan I wanted to share my life in Japan with my friends and family back home. So I started a Japanese fashion and lifestyle blog. I ran that for a few years before getting married and then busy with other things and so I shut it down. I did start this blog, which was originally just a blog that I updated randomly with whatever I felt like, but then I started to read ARC’s and decided to write reviews on here and slowly it morphed into a book blog with a personal touch. Last summer I asked Sam to join me because I was super busy with personal stuff and I wouldn’t have been able to keep this thing running without her. I’m now facing a HUGE move (back to the USA) and I know that I’m going to be relying on Sam ❤ ❤ ❤ a lot through that process as well.
2. What would your superhero power be? Speed-reading.
R: Flying! I actually once convinced a girl in elementary school that I was Rouge from the X-men and the girl believed me and told her parents and then her parents had to sit down with mine for a ‘chat about reality’. This story STILL cracks me up. But I really wish I could fly (I hate walking)
3. Who would you like to play you in a movie about your life? No one, because I don’t know if I’d be comfortable with that!
R: Noooooo idea! Maybe Nina Dobrev, only because I really love her in TVD
4. What is your favourite book? Mostly recently I’d say Vicious by Victoria Schwab.
R: THE RAVEN BOYS. GANSEYYYYYYYY
5. Who is your fictional hero? Batman. Always Batman. May be Scarlet from the Lunar Chronicles too.
R: Iron Man
6. Who is your favourite band/singer? Tegan and Sara, Neko Case, Hawksley Workman, I have too many.
R: Taking Back Sunday, 30 Seconds to Mars, Justin Timberlake, Jay Z…………………
7. Have you ever done something really daring (like sky-diving, bungee-jumping etc.)? Nope! I am a huge, huge, wuss.
R: Flying international? That’s the best I got…
8. What is your favourite television series? I don’t watch TV really… that is totally more River’s domain. I’d say Firefly though because it’s the one that has stuck with me the longest.
R: My favorite TV show is The Vampire Diaries, but I also watch: The Originals, Starcrossed, Arrow, SHIELD, Being Human, Lost Girl, The Big Bang Theory, New Girl and probably a few others that I can’t think of now…
9. What is your biggest pet peeve? Slut-shamming, opinions being forced fed as fact, being useless as tits on a bull, to name a few.
R: People who think that their experiences are the CORRECT experiences. For example: in Japan I often see this… non-Japanese see something done once and they assume that it’s the ONLY way something is done. I once had someone explain a cultural event to me and it turns out that they only had half of the true facts so they only knew half of what they were talking about, but INSISTED that this event was done the way they experienced it. Haha, I guess I should just say closed mindedness? I also really cannot stand it when people (IRL or in fiction) are too self-aware.
10. What is your favourite colour? Green.
11. Do you have a celebrity crush? Tie between Jennifer Lawrence and Gina Torres (my soon-to-be husband approves on both)
R: Justin Timberlake & Jared Leto
11 Questions from Me:
1. Who is your favourite secondary character in a book?
2. What are some of your hobbies outside of blogging?
3. What was the last book you DNF?
4. What is your favourite kind of tea or coffee?
5. When you blog, do you listen to podcasts or music?
6. Do you have a horrible addiction to Animal Crossing? (hint hint)
7. Are there any bookish apps you use for blogging or personal enjoyment?
8. Least favourite character in a book you’ve read and why.
9. Prettiest Book cover you’ve ever seen!
10. Do you prefer cats or dogs?
11. What is one book you are excited to read when it releases?
Nikki @ The Paper Sea