I love making goals. In fact, I have a goals bullet journal that I use to keep myself on track. This journal encompasses all of my goals, which includes reading, of course! While I completed all of my main 2017 reading goals, any of the bookish events I did, I didn’t complete most of the time. However, I am perfectly okay with not having all my boxes checked. Maybe this year I’ll read some of those books I meant to… story of my life, right?
But in all fairness, I decided that this would be the year I tackle both my gaming and reading backlogs in a way that allows me to try and consume as much as I can. There’s going to be highs and lows, but that is the reality of having so much media to consume. I want to be able to pare down what I have and try to accumulate less if I can swing it. It’s going to be hard, but I know I can make a dent. This is why having the goals bullet journal is handy!
Anywho, here’s some of the goals I want to complete reading-wise in 2018.
- Read my own books – Yeah, this is a no brainer. I have too many books and two TBR shelves and I really need to work on reading my own books. Working at the library it is so easy to get caught up in ALL THE BOOKS that I end up bringing home more stuff and neglecting what I currently own. I need to stop doing that. This month I will finish what I have out and then going on a library ban (minus movies and comics). If I can find audiobooks at work for some of the books I own, that I will consider to be okay. Here’s my “Shelves of Shame.” I am hoping by March to do an update and show you guys if I’ve made any real progress.
2. Read 10 Non-Fiction books – As I have gotten older, I’ve been reaching for non-fiction more. I spent last year reading so many great non-fiction reads, so I want to continue exploring this genre further and see what else is in store for me.
3. Read 5 Books over 500+ pages – Also a doable goal. I am generally not huge on reading books over 500+ pages usually because I feel like they are pretty bloated. Still, I have series I have started with installments that are over the 500 page mark and need to be read. Again, totally doable goal.
4. Complete the 2018 Book Riot Read Harder Challenge – I LOVE the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge. It is one of my favourite’s to do because it forces me to read a bit more diversely. I usually end up reading a lot of new favourites when I do this challenge. Since the year started, I’ve already knocked out two challenges. I’ll share my results at the end of the month with some thoughts!
5. Read 200 books. – This is currently what my Goodreads goal is listed at. I finished almost close to 500 books (because I count comic trades) last year. I don’t think I’ll ever get that close again, but I sure as heck would like to try.
6. Unhaul books – If I am being honest regarding the shelves above, it is that I know I need to unhaul some items. Items I likely won’t read or have lost interest in. Frankly, I know I need to KonMari that shelf and see where it goes. I think it’s doable, especially since my husband and I are planning to move this year. I’ve been packing away stuff I know I am keeping, so I need to start looking at parting ways with stuff I may never read again or have no attachment towards.
7. Be content. – Reality is that reading is not a competition. It’s easy to get into that mindset. However, I read a lot because it’s just my passion. I love getting lost in a good book, and reading is a part of what I actually do for a living. If I don’t hit my goals, that is totally okay, If I do, even better. It’s trying to not be hard on myself if I don’t succeed and being content with whatever I actually manage.
Here’s to another successful year of reading!